9.24.2009

Former Wyoming Coach Bob Lewis passes away


Wyoming Athletic Director Jim Barre relayed the news today that former Wyoming Coach Bob Lewis died this morning at the age of 83.  Wyoming's stadium, as you can see on the scoreboard above, is named after Coach Lewis.

Coach Lewis began a 23 year run as Wyoming's head football coach in 1956.  He led the team that first year to an 8-1 record, an amazing turn around from 1-6-2 the year before. 

The 1962 team was a particular high point, not allowing a point to be scored against it all season.  It also started a three year streak of going 10-0.  Coach Lewis started running the option in the early 60's, one of the first Cincinnati coaches to do so.

The mid-seventies were another time of great success for the Coach Lewis-led Cowboys.  Wyoming was Class AA state runner-up in 1975 and state champion in 1977.

His Wyoming career coaching stats astound.  His overall record was 198-21-7, meaning that he averaged less than one loss per season for those 23 years.  He never had a losing season and had 11 seasons where his team went undefeated.  Lewis is one of just three coaches at Wyoming over the last 53 years.  One other, current head coach Bernie Barre, played for Lewis.

He left a bigger legacy than just wins, however.  Jim Barre, who along with his brother played for Coach Lewis, stated, "Personally, he was my history teacher, football coach and athletic director.  Those are the three things I have done in my career.  He had quite an impact on my life.  I followed those career paths because of him."

Coach Lewis had a terrifically successful coaching career after Wyoming as well.  He led Conner to the 1980 Kentucky Class AAA state finals, losing to Franklin-Simpson.  As with the Cowboys, he returned soon thereafter and avenged the loss.  He led his team to the state championship three years later by this time beating Franklin-Simpson for the state championship.

Lewis' career coaching record is 270-55-8.  He is a member of the Wyoming High School Hall of Fame, the LaRosa's High School Hall of Fame, and the Ohio High School Football Coaches Hall of Fame.

The school will hold a memorial service at the high school on Sunday, October 4th at 2 PM.

The Roundup encourages those who knew Coach Lewis to leave comments below.  (Please be aware that comments are moderated, so that they won't immediately post.)

3 comments:

  1. I have had the pleasure of knowing Coach Lewis since July of this year when he came to the facility where I work. I immediately took a liking to this man. He was very personable and kind hearted. When I met Coach Lewis I knew I would only have a short period of time to get to know him. I can only say that those that were fortunate to have known him for the past many years were blessed. He loved to sing, saying "I know the first two lines to a thousand songs". I last saw Coach Lewis 1 1/2 hours before he passed away. Before I left I went to see him and told him he was one of the finest people I'd ever met. I'm sure he heard me. I knew that I would not see him again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coach Lewis was one of the most intelligent men I have ever known as well as one of the most competitive. He used to time himself with a stopwatch everyday when he did the daily crossword puzzle from the newspaper. Very bright and very competitive. It is a shame that a man that had such a great memory drifted into alhzeimers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Besides my father, Bob Lewis had the greatest impact on my life than anyone I have ever met. I feel very privileged to have played for him and to have had him as a teacher. Not a day goes by without remembering something that he taught me. My life today would not be the same without his influence. I hope he knows that! I introduced him to our team right before we played at home a few years back. I told our team that Coach Lewis was going to say a few words to them and told them that he was the greatest high school football coach in America. In typical Coach Lewis style, he told me that maybe America might have been a little much! I don't think I ever met anyone like him and I don't believe I ever will. He was just one of a kind! God bless you, Coach!

    ReplyDelete