5.20.2012

Play at the plate

I wanted to indulge my inner photographer so I'm putting this up as a separate post from the game summary (above).  Evey once in a great while you're shooting a game and something incredible happens.  Immediately you think, and others soon start asking you, did you get the shot?

The other time this happened to me was during a girls' soccer game when Michelle Jolson made this amazing bicycle kick for a goal.  I was in great position and took a picture (first below) that unfortunately was focused nicely on the boys' soccer team in the stands but had Michelle, more unfortunately, quite blurry in the foreground.  Luckily Peter Levick was there to save the day and he got the shot (2nd picture below).



There was another crazy play in yesterday's District Championship baseball game.  Pete Dickson and I were shooting the game.  Normally when a couple of us are shooting, we try to shoot from different vantage points (as above), so Pete was on the first base line and I was on the third base line.  It was good luck that we were both shooting, because if I'd been there myself I would have probably just stayed on the less-crowded first base line.

During the fifth inning, I saw that an Alter base runner had run through the third base coach's stop sign.  Again, it was good luck that I was along the third base line because I likely wouldn't have noticed this from the first base line and therefore wouldn't have realized as early as I did that there would be a play at the plate, plus I was at a better angle to get the play.  Here's what happened next (Daniel Gilbert is our catcher by the way):


And for you coaches out there, remind your pitchers that if they back up home properly they not only might be able to save an errant throw, they'll be in position for cool reaction shots like Henry Moore above.

No comments:

Post a Comment