10.11.2011

Wyoming football players at Miami

Recieved this from Coach Chris Stewart:

My wife and I decided to head up to Oxford to catch the Miami-Army game because it was the first Saturday I have had off since football started and wanted a chance to see Kyle Seyfried as a Miami Redhawk. Even though I knew Kyle wasn't going to play, I wanted to get a chance to see him in his Redhawk uni. Being a Miami alum, it was nice to get to see the campus and the team but having lived near West Point for 15 years of my life it was also a bonus to get to see Army play. We headed up to campus early to see Kyle warm up with the other quarterbacks and receivers. It was a great feeling to see one of your former players that you have coached since Middle School take the field as a Division I college football player. I was standing with Kyle's parents during warm ups when Mr. Seyfried informed me that Zach Mages was dressing for the game as well. My jaw hit the ground. I knew Zach was playing club football at Miami but I was told he had a walk on try out and made the team. He is currently playing scout team safety for the Redhawks. Zach has been working so hard to get a chance to prove he can play, I guess you can call him Wyoming's version of Rudy.

I had the chance after the game to talk with both of their parents as we were waiting for the players to come out of the locker room and they all talked about how excited they were for their kids. Zach was the first to come out and the smile on his face could have written a book. Kyle was the next to come out and you could tell he was a seasoned veteran at the routine. We talked for a while and the guys filled me in on some former players and what they were doing now. Kyle told me he was the scout team quarterback for this week because Army ran the triple option, which requires the Quarterback to run the ball a lot. He said he got beat up pretty good but I guess it paid off because Miami won and on Monday Kyle's Dad let me know that Kyle won scout team player of the week for the second time this year. It was a great day for Wyoming football and a great comeback win for the Redhawks.

1 comment:

  1. Great Story! enjoyed hearing about Wyoming Alumni!

    ReplyDelete